Man pleads guilty to murdering girlfriend over a dispute about sleeping

Washington Nationals shortstop Rashaun Weaver pled guilty in federal court on Friday to murdering his 16-year-old girlfriend, Tessa Majors, who was found dead in their family’s townhome in Loudoun County in October 2016.

Prosecutors said Weaver and Majors had been in a tumultuous relationship for more than a year, one filled with threats, insults and violence. The two met on social media and quickly fell in love, but there were inconsistencies in their stories, and their volatile relationship flared repeatedly. In late 2016, Majors began to suffer from anxiety and sleep issues, and was in therapy and having a breakdown.

On the day she died, Weaver and Majors went out for beers and pizza, and later consumed alcohol while chatting on a long-distance phone call. Later that evening, prosecutors said, Weaver brought his mother to their home in Dumfries, Va., where he killed Majors.

“The events of that day led to the destruction of an extremely young and promising life,” U.S. Attorney Cullen Barr said in a statement. “Justice for Tessa and the murder of another young person can never be enough, but the passage of time can only move us closer to that goal.”

Weaver originally faced up to life in prison. The plea deal allows him to avoid serving any time in prison; both sides agreed he will receive a sentence “substantially” less than the maximum under federal sentencing guidelines.

“He certainly took full responsibility for what happened,” said Weaver’s attorney, David Gomez. “It was hard for him, but that was his choice to take responsibility.”

Prosecutors said Weaver strangled and then stabbed Majors to death because he was not satisfied with her sleeping schedule. They argued that he used a hammer, then covered her head with a mattress and her body with blankets and towels to muffle any sounds she made before leaving the scene.

They also said that two people who had known Majors for four years and had been reading text messages between her and Weaver to help establish a timeline came to the same conclusion:

Just over an hour after the killing, a man and woman looking for a babysitter were looking out the window of the townhome, and they saw another person, a tall and skinny young man with a beard and wearing a gray sweatshirt, walking past the home. When the man asked who the man was, Majors answered, “He’s my boyfriend.”

The suspect walked past them, turning back toward the home, then went across the street and went into a restaurant. There, the two men called Majors’ mother on the phone. The mother answered, and Majors said she was with her boyfriend. She then asked the men to drop her daughter off on Meadow Road, in the townhome complex where her mother lived, just after midnight.

But when she arrived at the home, she found Majors’ bedroom door closed, and no one answered the door.

Later that evening, Weaver returned with blood on his hands and clothing and was arrested when police found him at a nearby school, where he was picked up after a nearby resident told officers that someone had been inside their home with no one there to answer the door.

A neighbor told the Post at the time that he believed Weaver had been involved in Majors’ death.

Leave a Comment